(left to right) Speechcraft Coordinator Matthew Ogbulafor | Brampton Talks Members Claudia Garraway and Madhukar Shahi giving feedback after first meeting | Club Member Maheeza Mohamed presenting how to give effective feedback for the Successful Club Series
Brampton Talks Toastmasters is presenting a speechcraft which is a win for the club, a win for it's members, and win for the community!
The speechcraft is sponsored and hosted by Real City Realty Inc. in Brampton. Over 50, from various professions wanting to improve their speaking skills, signed up for the 10 spots in the free 6 week workshop. Matthew Ogbulafor is the coordinator of this speech training workshop from the Success Communication Series, which completes a requirement for his ACG and bringing him closer to achieving his DTM.
“Toastmasters has changed the way I do business and believe this workshop will help anyone interested in improving their personal and professional lives.” – Kelechi Amadi, Broker of Record, Real City Realty Inc.
There is no better feeling then watching people that are scared to speak in public, stand infront of strangers, feel nervous but still do it; because of the support and skills they receive. In the 6 weeks, each one will have the opportunity to give 3 speeches, two evaluations, introduce a speaker, participate in Table Topics and take on a various meeting role. All while having the support of advisors and the skills from many educational presentations. Speeches are recorded so the participants / speechcrafters can watch their progress! Not only are the speechcrafters improving but so are the Toastmasters who get a chance to challenge themselves outside the club. Toastmasters in this speechcarft are giving their first evaluations, presenting on of the educational series for the first time, learning how to mentor and teach, and getting the satisfaction of helping someone.
Some Keys to Success
- Have a marketing and PR plan, start early. If sponsored use their resources as well.
- Order materials early and before promoting to follow and set up program. See more here.
- Name Tags for all of the Speechcrafters and Toastmasters
- Video Tape the speechrafters and educational presentations, send to the presenter as a learning tool and to montior progress.
- Pressional agendas easy to follow and branded.
- Minimum of 1 Toastmaster per 2 participants - not only hep at meeting but through email and phone calls as well.
- Reach out to the District 86 Speechcraft Coordinator for help and support.
(left to right) Dennis Bartel DTM preparing | Agenda and name tag with Toastmasters branding
With such an overwhelming response, Madhukar Shahi club member, emailed each one and then called them days prior to the event. Everyone on the waiting list was asked if they would like to be notified of further events and encourage to visit the club.
(left to right) Facebook event over 600 reached | Eventbrite event with over 300 views
- Start the promotions early and through as many ways as possible. This PR was started in February for the May 9, 2018 date.
- Tickets available on Eventbrite and integrated a with Facebook event which allows registration right on Facebook without having to go to Eventbrite link. Click here to see Event
- Facebook event shared with Real City and Brampton Talks.
- Press Release send to the Brampton Guardian. The same day the press release was published there were 16 sign ups on the waiting list. https://www.bramptonguardian.com/community-story/8368076-brampton-talks-toastmasters-hosting-free-speech-workshop/ .
- Half letter size flyers handed out at club with info on the back.
Why Hold a Speechcraft?
Speechcraft will increase your membership, before the event even began a participant who signed up for the speechcraft, came to Brampton Talks as a guest and then joined the club. It will help non-Toastmasters in the community learn the fundamentals of public speaking, promotes Toastmasters and the club, and gives members an oppuritinty to use their skills outside the club. It is a win, win, win!