Who, What ,When & Why? – Part 1
by Lori Lococo, DTM, PID – District Leadership Chair
(more detailed information can be found in Protocol 9.0 of TI’s Policy and Protocol) The Leader Letter
Each year the district leadership committee (DLC) chair is appointed by the district director to ensure successful district elections and long-term district success. The DLC chair appoints the committee as directed by Toastmasters International and approved by the district director.
The District Leadership Committee:
- Has equal representation from each division within the district and committee members have not served on the committee the previous year.
- Seeks out prospective candidates for elected positions for division directors, club growth director, program quality director and district director.
- Evaluates and interviews candidates.
- Nominates one or two candidates each for the offices of district director and program quality director and one or more candidates for the office of club growth director and all division directors.
- As directed by Toastmasters International, once a member has served on the DLC, that member is not able to be approved, elected or appointed for any of the elected positions before or after the Annual Business meeting, even if the district leader position is vacant.
- Provides a complete report of the nominated candidates at the February 27th District Executive Council Meeting.
- The committee chair notifies candidates who were not nominated and advises them of their eligibility to seek office as floor candidates.
- Additional qualified candidates may be nominated from the floor at the district’s annual meeting. The appropriate paperwork must be filed with the district leadership committee chair.