About Toastmasters International
Toastmasters International is a world leader in communication and leadership development, serving 352,000 members in 16,400 clubs in 141 countries
It was founded in October 1924 by Dr. Ralph C. Smedley, at the YMCA in Santa Ana, California. It is registered as a not for profit educational organization in that State. The world headquarters is located in Englewood, Colorado.
The newly reformed District 86 has 157 clubs and growing, with 2400+ members, 8 Divisions, and 34 Areas. This includes community clubs, corporate clubs, university / college clubs, government clubs, and bilingual clubs.
District 86 covers the following locations:
- North: Counties of Bruce and Grey
- West: Huron , Lambton and Middlesex
- South: Elgin County, Haldimand-Norfolk, Municipality of Niagara
- East: Cities of Hamilton, Halton, Wellington County, west Mississauga border, south of Highway 401 and West of Highway 403, south of Eastern Parkway, east of Mississauga Border.
Clubs in Central Ontario covering Brampton, North of Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham and Northern Ontario are now part of District 123 effective July 1, 2021.
Member Opportunities Available Through the Clubs
- Gain speaking experience that relates to specific career needs.
- Develop and practice a variety of leadership skills.
- Sharpen their listening and evaluation skills.
- Give impromptu talks on assigned topics.
Learn and practice techniques of effective public speaking.
- Prepare and deliver formal speeches on subjects of their own choosing.
- Learn and practice proper parliamentary procedures.
- Preside over meetings, gaining experience in running effective meetings.
- Gain personal confidence that will help when speaking to one person or one thousand people.
Learn more about our organization:
How We Service Members
Members are the heart and foundation of Toastmasters International. Below is a representation of each service level in support of the membership and how they work within Toastmasters International.